The history of the steamer Ivanhoe has featured in earlier articles, up to the point when she was laid up in 1906 by the Caledonian Steam Packet Co. Ltd. As the new century progressed, the pollution that characterized the upper Clyde began to be ameliorated and there was renewed interest in sailing from the heart of Glasgow. Shipyards on the Clyde were also experiencing full order books and sailing “doon the water” allowed the denizens of the city to see the latest developments that would make the Clyde known throughout the world. It was to accommodate this need that Captain Cameron brought out the Meg Merrilies and the Lady Rowena, and in 1911, the Ivanhoe was brought out of retirement.
Ivanhoe in her 1911 color scheme
The Firth of Clyde Steam Packet Co. Ltd. was registered on 16th February 1911 with a nominal capital of £6,000 and purchased, for £4,000 from the Caledonian Company, their steamer Ivanhoe that had been laid up in the West Harbour of Greenock since the end of the 1906 season. By the end of the month she was refurbished internally at Port Glasgow and the company announced that she would be available for charter in April and May and would sail from the Broomielaw to Rothesay in the upcoming season. She appeared with white funnels and black paddle boxes.
Glasgow Herald, April 14, 1911
Glasgow Herald, July 6, 1911
Under Captain McPhedran, Ivanhoe sailed on Good Friday, 14th April, from the Broomielaw at 10:20 a.m. for Govan, Renfrew, Bowling, Princes Pier, Kirn, Dunoon, Innellan and Rothesay with a cruise to the Kyles of Bute and Loch Riddon. Starting in May, this became her regular route although a call at Gourock was added from July and the cruise from Rothesay was varied–two days a week to the Kyles, two to Loch Striven, and two round Cumbrae–the same destinations as Buchanan’s Isle of Arran although the two steamers did not visit the same destinations on the same day. In this first season, Ivanhoe did not sail on Sundays.
Glasgow Herald, June 27, 1912
Ivanhoe and Eagle III at the Broomielaw
Ivanhoe at Rothesay (Valentine)
The 1912 season saw Ivanhoe with a narrow black band around the top of her funnels. The same schedule was followed with a change in the time of sailing to 10:30 in July.
Ivanhoe (Robertson, Gourock)
Glasgow Herald, June 6, 1913
The next year, 1913, Ivanhoe offered a series of short cruises in May and again her regular sailings, with a 10:40 start in July. On some Wednesdays, in place of the cruise from Rothesay, she sailed to Princes Pier and back, offering the option of an earlier return to Glasgow by rail for passengers.
Ivanhoe at Rothesay (Judges)
Ivanhoe approaching Dunoon
That year Ivanhoe was chosen for charters by the Royal Northern Yacht Club during the Clyde Fortnight and she also sailed for the first time on Sundays at 10:00 a.m. although she did not offer the sale of alcohol, in tune with her earlier tee-total principles. Buchanan’s Sunday sailings left at 10:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m., while Lady Rowena departed at 11:30 a.m.
Ivanhoe in Rothesay Bay
In 1914 Ivanhoe appeared for the early part of the season but on 9th June, it was reported that she had been sold to Turbine Steamers Ltd. to act as consort to Lord of the Isles.
Glasgow Herald, July 17, 1914 with Ivanhoe sailing under the management of John Williamson