The Rock magazine of March 1925 records:
“The name of an old and popular Clyde steamer has been revived in the Glen Sannox, which was launched on 24th February. The new ship which was built for the London, Midland & Scottish Railway Company, for their Clyde services, is 250 feet long by 30 feet broad by 10 feet 6 inches to the main deck, and she will be fitted with three Parsons’ independent steam turbines, each driving a separate shaft with one propeller, capable of developing a speed of about 20¾ knots. The Glen Sannox is, in many respects, similar to the Duchess of Argyll, which has proved such a successful unit of the L.M.S. fleet, and which many people maintain is the most graceful craft on the Clyde. At the request of the owners, there was no formal ceremony at the launch, but as the vessel left the ways she was gracefully named by Miss Rosamund Denny, the youthful daughter of the Chairman of the Builders’ Company.”
Thus, with little fanfare was launched the first addition to the new combined fleet of the L.M.S. and the Caledonian Steam Packet Company. As a replacement for the paddle steamer of the same name, the new Glen Sannox was owned by the railway company and so suffered restrictions on the routes on which she could operate. The new steamer was indeed almost a replica of the Duchess of Argyll built 20 years earlier although, at the suggestion of her builders, her machinery incorporated reduction gearing. She was designed for the Ardrossan to Arran service and after trials in May, entered service at the end of the month where she proved satisfactory to all expectation. Her deck aft included an open area that could be cleared of seating to allow cars to be carried at suitable states of the tide.
Glen Sannox on trials (Fortune)
Glen Sannox (Robertson)
Glen Sannox (Adamson)
Glen Sannox approaching Brodick
Another new feature of Glen Sannox was the provision of a bow rudder that improved her handling in reverse, something that proved useful in the narrow confines of Ardrossan Harbour and at Ayr where she was used for cruising.
Glen Sannox entering Ardrossan in 1926 (Valentine)
Glen Sannox reversing out of Ardrossan Harbour
Glen Sannox in Rothesay Bay (Adamson)
Whiting Bay with Duchess of Argyll at the Pier and Jeanie Deans and Glen Sannox lying off (Valentine)
Glen Sannox at Brodick around 1930
Glen Sannox at Brodick
Glen Sannox at Lamlash
Glen Sannox at Whiting Bay
Glen Sannox at Whiting Bay
In 1936, ownership of Glen Sannox was changed to the Caledonian Steam Packet Company which increased the number of piers where she could call.
Glen Sannox leaving Lamlash
Glen Sannox leaving Brodick Bay
Glen Sannox in the Kyles of Bute (Spencer)
At Whiting Bay
At Brodick in 1939 (Judges)
Glen Sannox continued on the Arran route during World War II, sailing from Fairlie and entering Lamlash bay from the south. She also provided connections to Millport and Rothesay during the emergency.
leaving Brodick in 1948 (Valentine)
At Brodick in 1950 (Valentine)
Glen Sannox at Whiting Bay in June 1952
After the war, she resumed her duties on the Arran service and received a wheelhouse for the 1949 season. Although Glen Sannox was popular with the Arran natives, her accommodation was somewhat limited. She was withdrawn in 1953 and sent to Ghent for breaking in 1954 after a spell in Albert Harbour.
Turbine Excursion Steamers, Alistair Deayton and Iain Quinn, Amberley, 2013