When the Edinburgh and Glasgow railway opened for passenger traffic in February 1842, it signalled the beginning of the end of a lucrative trade by the Swift barges on the Forth and Clyde Canal. The passage from Port Dundas in Glasgow to lock 20 at Wyndford was conducted entirely on the level and just four locks near Castlecary were required to link with the junction of the Union Canal at Falkirk from whence Edinburgh could be readily reached. The Canal Company withdrew passenger traffic in 1848 but private owners continued a service, initially on the summit level and later to lock 16 in Falkirk. In 1860, the company, Messrs A. & J. Taylor, introduced the steam vessel, Rockvilla Castle, built by Messrs Thomas Wingate & Co., of Scotstoun. She was 60 feet long by 9½ feet in the beam with a 12 h.p. engine. The Taylors gave up the business in 1875 and the Rockvilla Castle was taken...